St. Martin’s Church, Kassel
Interior design: Müntinga und Puy
Photos: Constantin Meyer
Along with the Hercules monument, the Protestant St. Martin’s Church is one of the most important landmarks of the city of Kassel. In close collaboration with the architectural office Müntinga und Puy from Bad Arolsen, the central nave of the church consecrated in 1462 was furnished with a special version of Thonet’s chair 471. Clear in their form, comfortable and equipped with clever details such as a hymnal compartment and seat and row numbering, the simple black wooden chairs perfectly fit in with the open space of the gothic church. The closed row seating requested by the congregation is reminiscent of the classic pew. For flexible use in St. Martin’s Church, Thonet developed a special connecting element that allows for fast and easy linking of the 325 stackable chairs.