Museum Barberini Potsdam
Interior Architecture: Hilmer & Sattler und Albrecht Architekten, Berlin
Photos: Stefan Müller
Chairs 404 SPF
Largely destroyed in a bombing raid in 1945 and recently reconstructed as an entirely new building with a meticulously replicated historic façade, the Palais Barberini was named “Building of the Year” shortly after it reopened in January 2017 by the Verein Stadtbild Deutschland. It houses an extra-class museum, with masterpieces of Impressionism, American Modernism and art from the GDR era from the collection of Hasso Plattners. They are presented to the public in combination with changing exhibitions curated by Director Dr. Ortrud Westheider. In addition to 17 exhibition rooms, the new museum building also includes an auditorium, a shop and a café and restaurant area. For the latter, the architects of the Hilmer & Sattler und Albrecht chose 45 Thonet chairs of range 404 by Stefan Diez. Grouped around small bistro tables with natural stone tabletops, they discretely enliven the high, bright space in version 404 SPF in white stained beech and with light beige upholstered seats.